favourite chocolate bar?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

BOOK REVEW !

              DASH AND LILY'S BOOK OF DARES  BY RACHEL COHN AND DAVID LEVITHAN BOOK REVIEW


Book clubs can be useful , I would never have read A BRIEF HISTORY OF MONTMARAY  or THE WITCH OF BLACK BIRD POND had we not been doing them for book club -  neither would I have read this singular book , Dash and Lily's Book of Dares , which is rather like comfort food but in book shape . I'll explain - the story starts in New York at December , Christmas time . You're totally thinking how unoriginal  but give me a moment , please . It opens on Dash , a moody teenage  boy in a book store   thinking about how much he hates Christmas . Then he spots a journal . In a book store . Yes really , its a Moleskine journal ( tut tut tut ) Dash opens it and starts to read , it contains a greeting from a girl and books to find , some of them not pc . Dash is intrigued and finds out her name is  Lily and then it begins - a pass the journal game between two 16 year olds, Dash  a charmer and Lily   who is a misfit , lonely , and still mourning the loss of her gerbil she had when she was 6 . As their dares get more fantastic and wild ( ahem )  various other things start to interrupt their balanced , bookish lives, as in ex- gfs from Spain , boarding schools in Fiji , and being arrested for assumed baby stealing . Um , yeah. I shall end with a rating ...

LANGUAGE : pretty extreme . 
LOVE : sexual references and kissing 
THEMES :  not too bad apart from dead gerbils and cats . 
1 TO 5 : yeno , lets stick with play school . 
5 TO 8 : NO NO NO NO :( 
8 TO 11 :  totally , if they are reasonably mature . 
TEENS : target audience :) 
ADULTS : well my mum liked it !! 


So , get reading ! Just make sure there is rice krispy treats nearby ......



4 comments:

  1. Mmm...rice krispies...rice krispie bars...mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review Arwen & it sounds like a pretty good book to me. Ahem I have a Moleskine journal ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work, Arwen. Not sure about the dead gerbils though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Witch of Blackbird Pond! I wish there was a second book!

    ReplyDelete